Tuesday, August 12, 2014

37 weeks and talk of c-sec

Second pregnancy –
 1.       Due date (as per LMP) – 27 August 2014
 2.       Due date (as per scan) – 01 September 2014

First pregnancy –
 1.       Due date (as per LMP) – 19 January 2011
 2.       Due date (as per scan) – 26 January 2011

How far along – 37 weeks 6 days as per my calculation

I had a doctor appointment yesterday, on 37 weeks as per his scan. We started out with a scan and doctor feeling my abdomen. We started talking while he was busy, about when to go in to hospital when I go into labour.

According to my doctor:
    a)      Should I notice an increase in mucous, loss of my mucous plug or a bloody show, I should make my way in as soon as I start feeling pains.
    b)      If my waters break (membranes rupture) I should make my way in as soon as possible

I asked why I have to make my way in immediately. And why I can’t labour at home for as long as possible? With Matthew, I waited 10 hours from the time my first pain started to the time I went into hospital and I only dilated 1cm. I mentioned that I don’t want to go in too soon because they will then put me on the clock and I won’t be able to labour as long as I possibly could before the doctor mentions c-sec.

He then says to me that because I am a previous c-sec patient, I shouldn’t be brave and should make my way in as soon as possible.  But on the other hand, I can wait until my contractions are 10 minutes apart before coming in. o_O talk about confusing….

I don’t think he was very happy with me questioning this and the fact that I want to labour at home for as long as possible, because then he came out and said that this baby is measuring big. He was measuring the whole time we were talking and he estimates his current weight to be around 3.15kgs. He asked me what Matthew weighed at birth (3.47kgs) and said that we can look at a 4kg baby this time round. And of course, if baby is estimated to weigh over 3.5kgs, then my chances of a trial of labour is totally out. He says he can’t see baby coming early and that he estimates his birth weight to be around the 4kg mark but we must wait and see how things go.

He won’t be available the last week of August (of course not as that is the week I’m due) and has scheduled me to see his partner (who is pro c-sec!). The partner will assess and evaluate baby’s weight at that time and we can make a decision then.

My problem is that there is no guarantee that this baby will be around the 4kg mark. Of course I don’t want to put myself and the baby in any danger by doing anything drastic but why do doctors have to scare moms like that???? If my baby and I are safe and not in any danger, why can I not have a trial of labour? I am so confused and so disappointed right now.

My doctor didn’t want to discuss anything concrete with regards to how this baby is going to come out yet, just saying we should wait and see. I am hoping against all hope that baby stays under the 3.5kg mark and that I can get a chance to birth him naturally and get my VBAC. 


  1. Docs can be so confusing. Say it like it is dammit. Then again I suppose they want to prepare us for everything but really, some things are scary.
    I laboured at home for about 3 hours before making my way to the hospital. That 15 minute drive from home has never felt so long. I was pulling the door handle off by the time I arrived. I was still convinced it wasn't going to happen as Liam wasn't expected for another 3 weeks! But hey, baby had other ideas. I'm glad he came early because if I had carried him to term he would also have been over the 4kg mark (ouch)
    I hope everything goes the way you planned. At least there is a little bundle of blessings on the other side.

    1. Thank you for the comment, Helen!
      I agree, why can't docs just say it like it is. I understand about wanting to prepare us for everything but I think most of us research and read through a whole lot in preparation anyway....
      Gosh, thinking about it, I can barely remember my car ride to the hospital. All I remember was telling DH to slow down because we have time to get to the hospital LOL
      Thank you and yes, there is a little bundle of blessings at the end of it all, no matter how he gets here :)

  2. They treated me like royalty during labour because a VBAC is a high risk. I did not labour in the normal labour rooms even, I went straight to the delivery room as from induction. Kim, I so know exactly what you are going through, cause I went through the same. My gynae also did not want to commit to anything, they do not want to get our hopes up. I do pray that you get the VBAC you want and deserve. Email or Whatsapp me if you have any, but any questions. Inbox via Facebook if you dont have my details xx

    1. Thanks Debs. I have a few q's. Will chat soon!

  3. Aw Kim, you look gorgeous. Enjoy last few days (!!!) of pregnancy!
    Try to not put pressure on yourself, and trust the process. Things will work out, and you'll have your lil bundle in your arms.
    Good luck!!


Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you!

Toddler birthday ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers